July 23, 2017

Everyday breakfast - Avocado Toast with soft boiled Egg


For those who have been following me on instagram - you probably know that I have been eating avocado for almost every morning. I got a bag of these green babies from Costco a week ago because I was craving them and I thought why not share this recipe with you guys. I have this love-hate relationship with them because until you cut into it, you never know if it's perfectly ripe - to me it's like playing a touchy guessing game with it :p


I didn't discover my love for avocado until I go to the states - they are not that of a big deal here in Taiwan (but recently I start to find avocado toasts in coffeeshops too) I love to make these open faced sandwich in the morning because they are nutritious, fast and delicious. My favorite way of eating them is to top them with soft boiled eggs - oozing eggyolk is so satisfying to watch and eat :p 


This recipe is usually my go to when it comes to avocado - but it can really be seasoned in any way you like. I love going through the fridge and seek for topping inspiration - these are some of my favorites which goes perfectly well with avocado: smoked salmon, eggs, tomatoes, corn, mustard seeds... it's always fun to try weird combinations (hah) Don't worry the recipe below is completely normal and tasty, as long as you like avocado and eggs :p
  

Prep time: 5 mins     Cook time: 5 mins     Total time: 10 mins     Serves: 2

  • 1 avocado
  • 2 eggs
  • 2-3 slices bread of your choice (I use olive bread here)
  • 1/2 lime or lemon
  • few drops of honey (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • red pepper flakes to taste 

Bring a small saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. (for that perfect oozing yolk) Gently remove the eggs and run under cold water to peel.

Meanwhile, heat up a pan with high heat, lightly brush the bread with olive oil and toast them for 1-2 minutes on each side.

While the eggs are cooking and breads are toasting, place the avocado on a cutting board and cut lengthwise carefully, rotating around the seed. Twist half of the avocado off and remove. Carefully tap your knife into the pit so that it wedges itself in. Twist the knife and remove the pit. Place the avocado, cut side down on to your cutting board and peel off the skin. 


Cut them in to smaller pieces and smash them in a shallow bowl with a fork, season it with salt, pepper and lime juice (it also prevents it from turning brown). I usually give it a taste and add a few drops of honey to balance out the tanginess.  

Spread the mashed avocado on the bread and top with the soft boiled egg. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes (cilantro works well too) before serving. Cut into the egg, take a selfie and enjoy :p


Thanks for stopping by, see you next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment